Environmental, Health & Safety Manager
The Modern Space EHS Manager partners with operational leadership to establish a vision and strategy and advance an employee safety culture throughout the organization. This position will support the developing, planning, and implementing of a robust, compliant, and consistently applied safety programs to ensure a safe, healthy, and accident-free work environment employees and sub-contractors.
- Partners with leadership and site leaders to drive safe behaviours and good habits, resulting in strong safety culture with all employees and departments
- Creates, communicates, implements, and updates policies and programs needed to meet EH&S requirements and regulations
- In partnership with HR, reviews incident reports, conducts investigations, assists with the maintenance of OSHA-logs, and facilitates the correction of potential hazards
- Manages employee post injury back to work and light duty programs.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations by keeping abreast of existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, interpreting standards, enforcing adherence to the law, and advising management on needed actions
- In partnership with HR, manages, updates, and implements the employee safety programs, including the company’s Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP), hearing protection, personal protective equipment requirements, and other loss prevention programs
- Performs required and periodic safety inspections, prepares necessary corporate and business unit safety/compliance reports for regulators. and reports results to management
- Works with insurance carriers to ensure compliance with facility and safety requirements and policies
- Maintains a comprehensive database of EH&S related programs, assures that the company complies with testing/tracking requirements, responds to regulatory deadlines, pays fees on time, and posts mandatory notices to ensure compliance
- Manages the emergency response plans, including training, emergency equipment, and response actions (on and off-hours)
- Facilitates accident and incident prevention by partnering with hiring managers in the investigation and identification of root causes of incidents and hazards, developing preventive measures and practices, and recommending and implementing policies and procedures
- Serves as the critical point person for leadership in setting content and directions of safety programs, training, trend analysis, and best practice rollouts
- Facilitates and conducts required training for employees or trains managers to facilitate required training.
- Minimizes environmental impact through pollution prevention and energy conservation
- Manages the EH&S budget, including the selection of vendors and contractors to fulfill the needs of the operation and supplement internal resources
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, safety, or related field
- 5+ years of related experience in employee safety and health.
- Experience in a manufacturing/production environment
- Certification as a CSP/CIH helpful
- Strong knowledge of EH&S regulations
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Training skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Ability to work with a diverse employee population
- Strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- High level of computer literacy
- Experience with data analysis and interpretation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods
- Must be able to bend, stretch, push, pull, and move with up to 50 lbs. of force.
- Must be able to wear proper PPE to protect against exposure to chemical and physical hazards
- Must be able to perform repetitive tasks and possess manual dexterity
- Non-standard working hours as required