Senior Manufacturing Engineer
The Modern Space Senior Manufacturing Engineer is a dynamic position that requires the ability to create and manage project timelines while driving improvement in all areas with a focus on quality, cost, and delivery in a comprehensive fashion. You will be a major contributor in defining manufacturing process planning, and will own process definition, quality standards and cost reduction initiatives. In addition, the role is responsible for creating lean part flow and labor model planning to support capacity planning and delivery requirements across various areas to support the annual business plans.
You will expected to develop into subject matter experts in a number of potential areas, will be support for the broader organization in these aspects, and will be expected to train and educate team members as required.
- Support day-to-day production of components across all manufacturing areas including fabrication of parts in metal wood, paint, general assembly and packing
- Develop, implement, and own governance for processes to support new and re-engineered components, assemblies, and systems; Develop and qualify new processes to take products from design to production through product and process integration.
- Develop and optimize production processes in alignment with labor cost targets, and lead initiatives to create and manage manufacturing standard work, job instruction sheets, and other pertinent documents and specifications
- Implement process improvement methodologies and tools (e.g. line balancing, value stream mapping, problem-solving, visual management, etc.) to reduce manufacturing build hours and quality issues, increase production rates, and remove waste from processes across multiple departments
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production demand
- Support the process for make versus buy analysis for components and service level support; support insource and outsource planning and execution to deliver core and non-core work alignment
- Analyze and disposition manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team on root cause analysis and corrective actions
- Review work performed by the Production team and/or external vendors, identify quality risks, and collaborate with Quality team to drive performance improvement initiatives both internally and externally
- Optimize components and processes for manufacturing in collaboration with cross-functional teams considering KPIs such as quality, productivity, and capital expenditure
- Analyzes and dispositions manufacturing discrepancies and interfaces with the quality team on root cause analysis and implement corrective actions as required
- Creates and/or improves Preventative Maintenance plans for tools, tooling, shop aids, equipment, and facilities for resources within assigned scope
- Works in a cross-functional team environment as a strong team player and demonstrates the ability to work with other functional groups to achieve company-wide goals
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience working in a production, manufacturing, or operations environment, with emphasis on manufacturing planning, material flow, and process improvement
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to withstand prolonged seating positions.
- Role will require standing and walking (general mobility)
- Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry and move objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this role include close vision and color vision.